The Animal Justice Party (AJP) recognises the inherent value of liminal animals and their right to continue living in our towns and cities.
We reject violence as a form of population control and promote a new relationship with our non-human neighbours based on respect and kindness. The best outcomes are achieved when we learn about animals’ needs.
- Replace lethal population control methods currently used by city councils with humane methods centred on deterrence, care, contraception and relocation – whichever are most appropriate to a specific population.
- Implement city council schemes that reduce human food waste and eliminate unintentional or unhealthy food sources for animals.
- Educate residents on the needs of liminal animals to promote positive human-animal interactions and deter unwanted or detrimental interactions. Liminal animals are a valuable educational link between urban areas and nature.
- Promote urban biodiversity and healthy, inter-species competition by planting native flora and re-establishing local ecosystems.
- Introduce city council design and building standards that cater for the needs of liminal animals while preventing human animal conflict (for example, integrated nesting/housing where appropriate).
- Structure our cities and transport systems to cause minimum impact to resident animals.
- Regrow greenbelts between human settlements and wildlife habitat and cease urban sprawl which forces surviving wildlife into urban areas (see also our Land Clearing Policy).
- Legalise and fund the rescue, rehabilitation and release of injured liminal animals regardless of species.
- Amend any legislation and policy which fails to consider the differences between urban and other populations of species, including their unique needs and impacts.
- Reduce the impact of human noise and light on liminal animals, which will depend on the source and local environment.