Sharks are an essential part of ocean eco-systems and the Animal Justice Party (AJP) advocates complete protection for them; from both culling and harvesting.
We also call for a ban on the importation of all shark products.
- To ban the importation of all shark parts including fins through amending the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 (Cth) for imports (Import Regulations).
- To give total protection to sharks in Australian waters.
- To create school-level programs that teach the significance and importance of sharks.
- To create school-level programs that teach safe behaviour around sharks.
- To invest in non-lethal deterrence in beaches.
- To expand research into shark populations and movements.
- To educate people on the mercury risks associated with shark consumption where applicable.