Processed meat should not be sold to people under 18 years of age. Health warnings should be placed on all processed meat packaging. This policy is consistent with other potent carcinogens like cigarettes and alcohol.
To make public policies on processed meat mirror those on tobacco, in particular to:
- Publicly fund education campaigns about the harms of processed meat to human health;
- Mandate health warnings on all processed meat products;
- Ban the sale of processed meat in school cafeterias;
- Ban processed meat in hospitals; and
- Impose a deterrent tax on processed meat.