The Animal Justice Party (AJP) supports the 1996 National Firearms Agreement (NFA). Gun violence has no place in Australia and yet the proliferation of firearms puts innocent lives in danger.
The AJP will strengthen the NFA by removing access to guns for the purpose of the lethal control of animals or the recreational shooting of animals.
The AJP supports legislation and policy initiatives that seek to reduce gun violence and the trauma, injury and death that guns cause to both humans and other animals.
- Run public education campaigns highlighting the social and environmental harm caused by gun use.
- Oppose the use of guns for the lethal control of animals (see our Introduced Animals policy).
- Prohibit recreational shooting and hunting in National Parks and State Reserves.
- Maintain the NFA’s effective gun laws and firearm import restrictions; and
- Impose further restrictions to prevent guns being used for violent crime and in domestic violence situations