The Animal Justice Party (AJP) values flying foxes and bats for their intrinsic worth and believes we should provide and maintain their basic needs, instead of seeing them as ‘pests’.
- To address misinformation focusing on bats as dangerous pests to be culled or relocated. A positive image should be promoted focusing on bats’ irreplaceable ecological benefits.
- To outlaw the killing of flying foxes including by landholders for damage mitigation (whether deliberately by shooting and electrocution or from being entangled in nets).
- To increase flying fox habitat.
- To require the use of wildlife friendly netting or other non-harmful alternatives to protect orchards where flying foxes are a problem.
- To ban the use of barbed wire and electrified fencing in rural residential areas where they are a hazard to flying foxes and bats as well as to birds, kangaroos, gliders, possums, wallabies and people.