AJP Calls for an Immediate Stop to the Export for Slaughter of all Live Animals

Posted on 05/31/11 in News, Press Releases, 21 Comments

Any fair minded Australian disgusted by the horrific images of the live cattle trade to Indonesia shown in the May 2011 ABC Four Corners program ‘A Bloody Business’ would want an immediate stop to this vile industry, according to the Animal Justice Party.  The AJP is Australia’s newest political party specifically set up to get better outcomes for all animals in the decisions of governments throughout Australia.

“Quite simply, this is pure animal brutality at its worst and we join with the Greens and the Independents and call for a complete stop to the export for slaughter of all animals from Australia”, said AJP President Professor Steve Garlick. ‘It is not even as if this brutality has not been shown multiple times on leading current affairs programs over the past decade’.

“This industry has had more than 25 years since a 1985 Senate Select Committee inquiry to address identified animal cruelty questions, and if what we see today is the best they can do then its time has well and truly run out”, said Professor Garlick.

“As an economist I can say there is also no justifiable economic argument to support the export of these animals for slaughter overseas. Once the animals leave our shores we have little control over their treatment”, he said.

The inquiries have already been done into this industry and now we have all the most up to date evidence we need in graphic detail thanks to the sterling efforts of Animals Australia. The AJP policy on the Live Animal Trade can be seen here.

For further information on the Ban Live Export campaign please www.banliveexport.com and www.animalsaustralia.com.

To get in touch email info@animaljusticeparty.org. You can also follow the AJP on Twitter @justice4animals.

*Homepage image source: www.animalsaustralia.com.

21 Comments

1. Charlie says:
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 at 8:44pm

Shame on the Australian government for allowing the Live Animal Export trade to continue!! We are calling for a ban on this cruel and immoral trade immediately!!

• admin says:
      Friday, June 3, 2011 at 6:54pm

Thanks for your comment, Charlie. We will continue the campaign to put a stop to live export of animals until we get justice for these animals. Your support is greatly appreciated. You can also follow the AJP on Twitter @justice4animals.

Thanks again,
      AJP

2. Rachel says:
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 at 4:37pm

Thank you for supporting this shocking issue.

• admin says:
      Friday, June 3, 2011 at 6:57pm

Thanks for your comment, Rachel. Members of the AJP have been fighting to stop live animal exports for years and we will not stop until this barbaric practice does. Thanks again, AJP

3. Colette says:
    Friday, June 3, 2011 at 10:11pm

I didn’t watch the live export footage – I just couldn’t. I heard from my family though and a few were physically sick. What kind of sick degenerate people are these?

4. Steve says:
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 at 12:52pm

Great to see there are many groups in Australia trying to take the current Government to task. I’m now only realising that if this has been going on for so long how many previous PM’s and Agricultural Ministers were aware of this but let livecorp & ALM get away with paltry efforts to improve conditions in these abatoirs for our cattle. I am writing to everyone calling on more animal welfare people to get on the ground in Indonesia ASAP. Every remaining abatoir must have representation to oversee the protection of our remaining cattle. Livecorp have sent a measly 10 extra staff on top of the measly 5 that were there overseeing 100+ abatoirs, this is just plain unacceptable. If there is not an Australian present these abhorent practices will continue. As for the PM allowing more boats to leave this week, dont get me started. These people and corporations who knew this was happening should be prosecuted. Keep up the good work AJP if we didnt have political parties with some common sense like you Australians would feel like they were fighting a losing battle. Why does the PM remain silent on this issue also. can she not speak to the media. I have made my assumption that she just does not give a damn, & if I think that what are all other Aussies thinking?

Kind regards Steve Hammond Ingham FNQ

5. nancy says:
    Monday, June 6, 2011 at 2:09pm

People need to understand that the reason that live exports occur is because Islamic and Jewish people use Halah and Kosher slaughtering methods. These methods mean that the animal must have its throat slashed while still fully concious and alive.
    This can not be done by non Muslims or Jews, do not forget this when you concider all of these factors.

• Scott says:
      Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 4:53pm

Thank you Nancy, finally a comment from someone who has brought the “Religious” aspects up of this whole issue. Once again, we are witness to what religion is doing to the minds of the innocent.

• Debbie says:
      Monday, June 13, 2011 at 6:19am

Nancy maybe you should read this.
      What is halal slaughter?
      Are animals halal-slaughtered in the Middle East?
      Key requirements of halal killing – according to the Koran and Islamic leaders – include:

•not killing animals in the presence of other animals
      •the animals are not to be bound
      •the slaughterman makes a dedication of the animal to ‘Allah’
      •the animal being slaughtered must face Mecca
      •the animal should be killed with a single cut to the throat with a long sharp blade, and
      •the animal must not suffer prior to slaughter.
      Investigations since 2003 in key Middle East countries which import Australian animals have found that the halal requirements (as listed above) are routinely ignored in each of Egypt, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar.

Now Nancy of the footage from all of the many reports of absolute Cruelty in the Live Export trade over 2 decades, that you have seen is this followed? We already export halal meat products all of which is certified. Stop Live Export & then they can join the Halal meat products trade. At least the slaughter is done according to the Halal requirements not as in the reports.

6. Max Galanti says:
    Monday, June 6, 2011 at 3:45pm

This subject needs to be spread to the wider community on a continual basis the changes will happen if enough people are informed and kept up to date and pressure is applied to the politicians it must not be allowed to die away.

7. Judith says:
    Monday, June 6, 2011 at 4:29pm

As an older Australian i have never been comfortable with live animal export of any kind but sadly, like many others I have kept my head firmly in the sand for 20 years. The Four Corners report has woken me up and I have vowed to keep fighting until something is done. Mark my words, those in a position to do something about this horror are only waiting for the fuss to die down so they can return to the status quo.Those of us who are completely disgusted by this must not give up. Fortunately in the age of the internet it is relatively easy to continue the fight.

8. Mandy says:
    Monday, June 6, 2011 at 11:43pm

Great work! If you have candidates in SA for the next federal election I’ll be voting for you. Please keep my details and I’ll help you campaign. Thank you.

9. Anna says:
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 12:27am

I hope and pray this is halted immediately. I am unable to get the terrible cruelty out of my mind. I will vote for the people who bring a halt to this as quickly as possible.
    There is no excuse, no ifs no buts. It must be stopped.
    How can we educate our neighbours, once we halt the export, we must focus on the long term education of the people who slaughter animals in such a way.
    I work in the travel industry and there is no way I will spend any money in a country who has such disregard for animal welfare, or recommend them to consumers.
    Consumer dollars surely must be recognised, I am so disgusted.
    I could not bear to eat a meal in Indonesia knowing this is how the poor animals are treated.
    Well done to all who have spoken out, don’t let this be swept under the carpet. We must act urgently.

10. tori says:
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 12:52am

A huge black mark on the government if they dont stop this babaric treatment of our beautiful animals. Those people are not doing this out of ignorance they know how shockingly cruel and barbaric they.are towards these beautiful timid animals.Absolute disgrace if the government dosent ban all live exports

11. Scott says:
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 4:47pm

Please could you inform me and others what exactly is your background in the Australian Agricultural Industry????

12. shelley says:
    Friday, June 10, 2011 at 1:25pm

I couldnt bring my self to watch absolute cruely, this live export has to stop. These poor animals havent got a mean bone in there body and to be killed this way by people that have NO idea on what they are doing it is a disgrace.It shouldnt come down to money, religion any thing else but the feelings of these poor creatures.

13. Francoise Dupen says:
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 7:51pm

AJP – YOu have my number 1 vote in the next election. I am so excited that we now have a political party that has as its central platform the welfare of aimals. Holland has members of their equivalent political party already in parliament. We can do this. So exciting and so positive. Something to feel good about amongst all the horror. Well done you guys. Can’t wait to tick your box on the ballot paper.

14. anne crowther says:
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 at 6:55pm

i will be also ticking your ballot box next election animals need a voice

15. linda Campbell says:
    Monday, June 20, 2011 at 2:05pm

I am so excited that a political party has been created. I’ve been writing letters to pollies about live export for many years. I even had Livecorp ring me at home in 2003 because I had complained to them so often. They were not pleasant to say the least! I am not a part of any organisation and I know all about the cruelty to animals in live trade because I did some research by myself – very simple stuff on the internet. So I am finding it extremely difficult to believe that stake holders besides MLA in this hideous industry knew nothing about what was going on!! Every aspect of this industry is disgusting.

16. linda Campbell says:
    Monday, June 20, 2011 at 2:08pm

By the way guys – I am a singer songwriter and I wrote a song on the issue of our cattle and sheep as a way of getting the message out there. The song is my own feelings about the situation. I posted it on you tube. Here is the url to the song:

17. john says:
    Monday, June 20, 2011 at 3:06pm

I hope this is the catalyst for us all to consider that animals deserve a life free from cruelty and a humane slaughter. If we must eat meat this is the least we should demand. Lets also look at practices here in Australian slaughter houses and intensive farming,